Re: parallel.sgml for Gather with InitPlans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: parallel.sgml for Gather with InitPlans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 11:21 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 11:34 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think we can cover InitPlan and Subplans that can be parallelized in
>>> a separate section "Parallel Subplans" or some other heading.  I think
>>> as of now we have enabled parallel subplans and initplans in a
>>> limited, but useful cases (as per TPC-H benchmark) and it might be
>>> good to cover them in a separate section.  I can come up with an
>>> initial patch (or I can review it if you write the patch) if you and
>>> or others think that makes sense.
>>
>> We could go that way, but what I wrote is short and -- I think -- accurate.
>>

> Okay, again thinking about it after your explanation, it appears
> correct to me, but it was not apparent on the first read.   I think
> other alternatives could be (a) Evaluation of initplan OR (b)
> Execution of initplan.  I think it makes sense to add what you have
> written or one of the alternatives suggested by me as you deem most
> appropriate.  I think one can always write a detailed explanation as a
> separate patch.

I've committed what I suggested before.  If you want to propose
another patch, feel free, but I'm not sure how much energy this is
worth.  The more detailed we make the documentation the more we have
to update the next time something changes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company