Re: backup manifests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: backup manifests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:53 AM tushar <tushar.ahuja@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> run pg_validatebackup -
>
> [centos@tushar-ldap-docker bin]$ ./pg_validatebackup data1
> pg_validatebackup: error: could not open file "pg_hba.conf": Permission denied
>
> run pg_validatebackup  with switch -s
>
> [centos@tushar-ldap-docker bin]$ ./pg_validatebackup data1 -s
> pg_validatebackup: backup successfully verified
>
> here file is not accessible so i think - it should throw you an error ( the same above one) instead of   blindly
skippingit.

I don't really want to do that. That would require it to open every
file even if it doesn't need to read the data in the files. I think in
most cases that would just slow it down for no real benefit. If you've
specified -s, you have to be OK with getting a less complete check for
problems.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company