Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'd be okay with a configure option, if you think that would make this
> issue more visible to packagers.  It's delegating the responsibility to
> the DBA level that I'm unhappy about.

[...]
>> How about using an environment variable?  It seems to me that would
>> address the concern about DBAs without shell access.  They might be
>> able to frob GUCs, but presumably not the postmaster's starting
>> environment.
>
> Hmmm ... yeah, that might work.  It would solve the problem I'm worried
> about, which is making sure that the startup script has control of what
> happens.

A configure option wouldn't address the issue from my perspective; you
still have to recompile if you don't like what your packager did, and
your packager might still be stupid.  However, an environment variable
seems like it would be just fine.  It might even be more convenient
for packagers that having to compile the desired value into the
binary.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company