Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels
Date
Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels  (Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im>)
List pgsql-hackers
andres@anarazel.de (Andres Freund) writes:
> On 2014-06-10 11:20:28 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought once the fork_process code has reset our
>> process's setting to zero it's not possible to lower it again (without
>> privileges we'd not have).

> No, doesn't look that way. It's possible to reset it to the value set at
> process start. So unless we introduce double forks for every backend
> start it can be reset by ordinary processes.

That's kind of annoying --- I wonder why they went to the trouble of doing
that?  But anyway, it's probably not worth the cost of double-forking to
prevent it.  I still say though that this is not a reason to make it as
easy as change-a-GUC to break the intended behavior.

Robert's idea of having the start script set an environment variable to
control the OOM adjustment reset seems like it would satisfy my concern.