Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> So, I suggest that the only sensible non-zero values here are probably
>> "1" or "2", given a default pool of 8 worker processes system-wide.
>> Andres told me yesterday he'd vote for "2".  Any other opinions?
>
> It has to be at least 2 for beta purposes, else you are not testing
> situations with more than one worker process at all, which would be
> rather a large omission no?

That's what Andres, thought, too.  From my point of view, the big
thing is to be using workers at all.  It is of course possible that
there could be some bugs where a single worker is not enough, but
there's a lot of types of bug where even one worker would probably
find the problem.  But I'm OK with changing the default to 2.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company