Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta
Date
Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 22/04/16 06:07, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> So, I suggest that the only sensible non-zero values here are probably
>>> "1" or "2", given a default pool of 8 worker processes system-wide.
>>> Andres told me yesterday he'd vote for "2".  Any other opinions?
>> It has to be at least 2 for beta purposes, else you are not testing
>> situations with more than one worker process at all, which would be
>> rather a large omission no?
> That's what Andres, thought, too.  From my point of view, the big
> thing is to be using workers at all.  It is of course possible that
> there could be some bugs where a single worker is not enough, but
> there's a lot of types of bug where even one worker would probably
> find the problem.  But I'm OK with changing the default to 2.

I'm curious.

Why not 4?  As most processors now have at least 4 physical cores, &
surely it be more likely to flush out race conditions.

Cheers,
Gavin