Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 31 August 2017 at 17:48, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would argue for
>> adding Andres's executor speedups and Amit's hash index work, too
>
> Do we have accepted/verified perf results we can quote?

Andres had a chart showing mammoth speedups on some of the TPC-H
queries which he presented at PGCon.  See, e.g. slide 17 at
https://www.pgcon.org/2017/schedule/attachments/462_jit-pgcon-2017-05-25.pdf

I don't know that that's quite formal enough for PR, but it - Q1 in
particular - sure shows a nice gain.

For hash indexes, the benefit is mostly that now they don't go
kablooey after a crash, rather than performance, although there was
performance work done as part of the project too.  Not sure what the
best way to showcase this would be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company