Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 31 August 2017 at 18:34, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 31 August 2017 at 17:48, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would argue for
>>> adding Andres's executor speedups and Amit's hash index work, too
>>
>> Do we have accepted/verified perf results we can quote?
>
> Andres had a chart showing mammoth speedups on some of the TPC-H
> queries which he presented at PGCon.  See, e.g. slide 17 at
> https://www.pgcon.org/2017/schedule/attachments/462_jit-pgcon-2017-05-25.pdf
>
> I don't know that that's quite formal enough for PR, but it - Q1 in
> particular - sure shows a nice gain.

That's good enough to include on the major items certainly.

> For hash indexes, the benefit is mostly that now they don't go
> kablooey after a crash, rather than performance, although there was
> performance work done as part of the project too.  Not sure what the
> best way to showcase this would be.

Discussion continues on that aspect.

I'm going to commit this patch in next hour, barring objections, so we
have something there as a stopgap while we discuss what the final list
will be.

Attachment