Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Are we safe to draw attention to these indexes, for a particular use
> case? Can we get a clear statement of what that is? If we can, I would
> incline towards adding them to the major items list.

I think it's cases where the keys are very wide, only equality lookups
are needed, and the data isn't changing a ton.  Write performance for
hash indexes is still not fantastic, although I believe that, due to
the single-page vacuuming logic in particular, it's a lot better than
formerly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company