Re: BUG #6251: cannot create roles that can actually login - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #6251: cannot create roles that can actually login
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:01 AM, nirodha <erikwinnmail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A06251
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0nirodha
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0erikwinnmail@yahoo.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system: =A0 ubuntu
> Details:
>
> I literally cut and paste the commands from the manual to create a role
> after about two hours of repetition and reading .. yes, "with login" "with
> login password 'foo'", whatever. =A0Tried createuser - I have to be hones=
t; 3
> hours later and I am ready to go back to MySQL. =A0Documentation is spars=
e,
> there is no forum on the site - I am a bit disappointed after all the hype
> about how great postgres is .. 3 hours later and I cant even create a user
> that can login!
> Thanks.

Uh, well, I am pretty sure that this works, or else we would have a
lot of unsatisfied users, but it's pretty much impossible to guess
what you did wrong based on this amount of information.  Showing us
the exact command that you typed to create a user, and then the exact
command that you typed to try to connect as that user, and then the
exact error message that you got would help a lot.  Just off the top
of my head, a likely culprit is that you may need to adjust your
pg_hba.conf file.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

--=20
Robert Haas