pg_upgrade v9.1 issues - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From lalong
Subject pg_upgrade v9.1 issues
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I have 2 instances of postgres installed on same machine under Vista and have
run into the following issues when trying to migrate my data from one
instance into the other....

1) If the upgrade process fails, the postmaster.tid file may remain even
though the postmaster service is no longer running.  I have to manually
delete it to re-try.  This may occur in either the source or target area.

2) Recommend adding additional parameters to allow specifying target and
source roles & pw's.  I was getting errors when the same role does not exist
in both instances.

3) Received the following error
*********
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.1\bin>pg_upgrade --old-datadir
"D:\servoy6\application_server\database" --new-datadir "c:\program
files\postgresql\9.1\data" --old-bindir
"D:\servoy6\application_server\postgres_db\bin" --new-bindir "c:\program
files\postgresql\9.1\bin"
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking current, bin, and data directories                 ok
Checking cluster versions                                   ok
Checking database user is a superuser                       ok
Checking for prepared transactions                          ok
Checking for reg* system oid user data types                ok
Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch       ok
Creating catalog dump                                       ok

There were problems executing
""D:\servoy6\application_server\postgres_db\bin/pg_ctl" -w -l "nul" -D
"D:\servoy6\application_server\database"  stop >> "nul" 2>&1"
Failure, exiting
*********

Note: I don't know if this matters, but the target (new v9.1) source has
instance set to start automatically in services.  The source (old v9.0) is
not.  The error is referring to the source instance.  Apparently, it is
trying to shut the service down and if it is already down, then it errors
out as opposed to continuing on.

Thanks,
Larry Long