Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Well, if it has no tests *and* it's not getting installed, what's
>>> the point of having it at all?
>
>> It's intended as a demonstration of stuff you could do with background
>> workers.  Perhaps that begs the question of why Alvaro included it in
>> the set of things that got moved from contrib to src/test/modules, but
>> I'm still of the opinion that we should build everything in
>> src/test/modules when the user does 'make world', whether it has tests
>> defined or not.
>
> TBH, I can't muster much sympathy for that position.  Make a test case
> for it, and the problem goes away, not to mention that confidence in
> whether it actually works (not just compiles) goes up a lot.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to test it via pg_regress, but if
somebody can come up with something, sure.  But why stick to a rule
that is inconvenient for no real benefit?  Compiling everything in
src/test/modules when someone runs 'make check-world' would take a
handful of seconds and prevent developer errors like the one that
started this thread.  That seems like a slam-dunk from here,
regardless of anything else.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company