Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> TBH, I can't muster much sympathy for that position.  Make a test case
>> for it, and the problem goes away, not to mention that confidence in
>> whether it actually works (not just compiles) goes up a lot.

> I'm not sure there's an easy way to test it via pg_regress, but if
> somebody can come up with something, sure.  But why stick to a rule
> that is inconvenient for no real benefit?  Compiling everything in
> src/test/modules when someone runs 'make check-world' would take a
> handful of seconds and prevent developer errors like the one that
> started this thread.  That seems like a slam-dunk from here,
> regardless of anything else.

I guess what I'm having a problem with is something that lives under
src/test/ and is not in fact intended as a test.  If you're not interested
in making it into a live test, it's in the wrong place.  You might as
well complain that you put C code under doc/src/sgml/ and it didn't get
compiled.

One idea is to put "check: all" into its makefile, if there's no prospect
of check doing something more than that.