Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Driver Module - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Driver Module
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM, George Gelashvili
<ggelashvili@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> We looked through the places where there is existing version checking and
> there isn't a ton of it.

That's because we went to great lengths to minimise it in pgAdmin 4.
It's mostly confined to template selection for SQL now.

> Our current plan for supporting Greenplum in
> pgAdmin4 was not necessarily to support all the features of pgAdmin4, but to
> at least get the core functionality working.
> I'm not too concerned about there being a ton of switches, because I don't
> think most features will need to be disabled. We will also likely make
> changes to Greenplum to support certain features like query plans rather
> than doing all the changes on the pgAdmin4 side.

OK. From my perspective though, I have to ensure that what we offer in
the community is a good experience. If it's not appropriate or
necessary to support a feature in GP, that's fine - but it needs to be
disabled to prevent users reporting bugs to us

> What I would like to see though is version checking that happens in one
> place and is not tied exclusively to either flavor or version, but to a
> combination of the two. E.g. Greenplum 5.0 might support a feature that is
> not supported in 8.3 postgres.

Can you do a rough assessment of how many 'features' we'd be likely to
need to have the PG driver advertise? That would give a better idea of
the extent of the work involved.

In principal I'm not against the idea of having a function in each
driver that allows us to check for the presence of a given feature,
including by-version as required. What I'm against is that becoming a
mess of spaghetti...

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com