Re: PG 15 downloads - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PG 15 downloads
Date
List pgsql-www

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 21:33, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

I saw the following comment https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33194755
>  Just some feedback for releases of any software: I think apt sources and
>  repositories should be ready to go on launch and PR-release so people can
>  immediately use the new version. Looks like that's going to take 2-3
>  days. Sources are available but that's not something most people want to
>  delve in with make files and dependencies. Something like postgres is
>  huge. Right now, if you go to downloads and expect postgresql-15 available,
>  it is not; lot of people on IRC and elsewhere on Twitter are confused where
>  to download postgresql-15. I know that takes time, so the PR release should
>  just be delayed until apt sources are ready. May be also docker
>  repositories.

Some of these are actually ready, our website does make it look like that's
not the case.

The pages for the EDB installers
https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/
https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
only list versions up to 14, but the downloads are actually available on the
EDB page.

Hmm, somehow we always forget to update those pages. I think in part it's because there's currently no check/confirmation that packages are ready before the release is pushed to the website (largely for historical reasons); everyone just works to get their part done by 2PM UK time. Couple that with the fact that none of the team within EDB who work on the installers have any knowledge of the PostgreSQL website code (bar me, but I'm not involved in the day to day work these days).

A couple of possible solutions that spring to mind:

1) Jonathan (or whoever is handling the release process) could ensure those pages are updated as part of the release push, but that would require confirmation from Sandeep or someone on the EDB team that the packages have been published and everything looks good.

2) We could database-ise the data in those tables, and then Sandeep could update that through the Django admin interface at the appropriate time. He does have access to a limited part of the admin interface already.

In any case, I've fixed the pages now.

Thanks.