Re: PG 15 downloads - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: PG 15 downloads
Date
List pgsql-www
Re: Andres Freund
> Hi,
>
> I saw the following comment https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33194755
> >  Just some feedback for releases of any software: I think apt sources and
> >  repositories should be ready to go on launch and PR-release so people can
> >  immediately use the new version. Looks like that's going to take 2-3
> >  days. Sources are available but that's not something most people want to
> >  delve in with make files and dependencies. Something like postgres is
> >  huge. Right now, if you go to downloads and expect postgresql-15 available,
> >  it is not; lot of people on IRC and elsewhere on Twitter are confused where
> >  to download postgresql-15. I know that takes time, so the PR release should
> >  just be delayed until apt sources are ready. May be also docker
> >  repositories.

Hi,

I've been asking for some way to be able to stop syncing the apt repo
from the repository master host so I can prepare the release, and then
have the release people grab it from there. But that was never
implemented, so things still rely on me being available to
synchronously do the required steps, which is obviously not optimal.

> Unfortunately it does look like our debian / ubuntu packages are still at 15
> rc2.

I wasn't around yesterday, so I'm preparing the 15.0 packages now.
Will take an hour from now or so.

Christoph