Re: improving PL/Python builds on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: improving PL/Python builds on OS X
Date
Re: improving PL/Python builds on OS X  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 18:24 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> It's failing on Linux. Even worse, it configures fine and then builds
>> without error. There is a message spewed out by configure, but it
>> doesn't contain the words warning or error. Given that I explicitly
>> said I wanted Python support when I ran configure, it should certainly
>> fail with an error at configure time. We only noticed this was a
>> problem when the QA guys started diving in to more detailed tested, as
>> we don't watch for every message in the 50+ MB of logs our automated
>> build systems generate.
>
> It worked before because we used to allow linking shared libraries
> against static libraries on some platforms.  But that was more or less a
> lie because it doesn't work on 64-bit platforms.
>
> ActiveState Python contains a static library with PIC files.  There is
> no obvious way to detect that, which is why we don't support it
> directly.  You can sort it out yourself by building with
>
>     make shared_libpython=yes

OK, thanks - I'll try that.

I assume you'll fix the configure script so it actually errors out if
plpython cannot be built, but is explicitly requested?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company