Re: [pgadmin4][patch] Use pytest test runner for unit tests - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgadmin4][patch] Use pytest test runner for unit tests
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira@pivotal.io> wrote:
As part of the development environment we do not see the reasoning behind not add PYTHONPATH to the environment variables, specially because this looks like the way pytest was invisoned.

Really? It's one more step that wasn't previously required, and for which there is no good reason when running in a properly configured virtual environment. Not only that, but PYTHONPATH is typically used as a search path to find modules on which the application/script is dependent - not to find the application/script itself. Unconditionally overriding it is likely to lead to problems in some possible configurations (at the very least I would expect to see the Makefile do PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$(PWD)/web).

However please try the following patch instead. We've changed the pytest invocation to assume the relevant dir as part of the directories to load, as well as the docs and Makefile

Some initial feedback:

- The JSON results are no longer being generated.

- The output is *extremely* verbose, showing a lot of seemingly unnecessary info (do we really need to output the source code of failing test cases?). I would suggest that the verbose output be directed to the log, and the visible output should be much more terse along the lines of what it is now.

- There is no summary at the end showing what passed, failed or was skipped. To figure out what to look at, I have to trawl through over 13K lines of output (642KB).

- 69 tests failed for me running test:unit. They were previously all passing.

- It is a *lot* faster - not sure if that's a result of tests failing, but I expect not entirely.

- /README was updated, but not /web/regression/README

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com