Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> On Jun 3, 2018, at 7:08 PM, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 04/06/18 07:32, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 06/03/2018 11:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Two years ago, there was considerable discussion about creating a
>>> Code of Conduct for the Postgres community, as a result of which
>>> the core team announced a plan to create an exploration committee
>>> to draft a CoC [1].  That process has taken far longer than expected,
>>> but the committee has not been idle.  They worked through many comments
>>> and many drafts to produce a version that seems acceptable in the view
>>> of the core team.  This final(?) draft can be found at
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
>>>
>>> We are now asking for a final round of community comments.
>>> Please send any public comments to the pgsql-general list (only).
>>> If you wish to make a private comment, you may send it to
>>> coc@postgresql.org.
>>>
>>> The initial membership of the CoC committee will be announced separately,
>>> but shortly.
>>>
>>> Unless there are substantial objections, or nontrivial changes as a result
>>> of this round of comments, we anticipate making the CoC official as of
>>> July 1 2018.
>>
>> My comments:
>>
>> 1) Reiterate my contention that this is a solution is search of problem. Still it looks like it is going forward, so
seebelow.

>> 2) "... engaging in behavior that may bring the PostgreSQL project into disrepute, ..."
>> This to me is overly broad and pulls in actions that may happen outside the community. Those if they are actually an
issueshould be handled where they occur not here.

>> 3) "... members must be sensitive to conduct that may be considered offensive by fellow members and must refrain
fromengaging in such conduct. "
>> Again overly broad, especially given the hypersensitivity of people these days. I have found that it is enough to
disagreewith someone to have it called offensive. This section should be removed as proscribed behavior is called out
indetail in the paragraphs above it.

[truncated]

> Be very careful in attempting to codify 'correct' behaviour!

I believe the main goal of the CoC is the opposite: it’s to ensure that
people do feel welcome to participate in the PostgreSQL community and
that if they are unfortunately subject to an incident that they have a safe
means of reporting it versus codifying what is “correct."

There is also  a committee around the CoC and why there will be multiple
individuals on the committee, so that way any complaints can be fairly
researched, discussed, and resolved. There are also several checks and
balances with the enforcement of the CoC that should help ensure that any
complaints are handled as fairly as possible.

Anyway, a big +1 to the effort of everyone who worked on the CoC for
the past several years. From feedback in other forums through the years,
I know it does make a difference to have a code of conduct in terms of
helping people to feel more welcome and knowing that there is an
avenue for them to voice feedback in the case of an unfortunate incident.

Jonathan