Re: NEW used in a query that is not in a rule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Passynkov, Vadim
Subject Re: NEW used in a query that is not in a rule
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I am also don't know how use NEW,OLD in plpgsql
but in pltcl possible to use $NEW($my_field), $OLD($my_field)

--
Vadim Passynkov

-----Original Message-----
From: Gaetano Mendola [mailto:mendola@bigfoot.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 2:35 PM
To: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: [HACKERS] NEW used in a query that is not in a rule

Hi all,
I'm bouncing on the following problem, I don't know if is a bug or if exist
a different
way to do it.
The following code is not meaningfull but it's an extract of what I'm trying
to do:

CREATE TABLE foo ( field1 INTEGER );

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION trigger_foo()
RETURNS TRIGGER AS'
DECLARE

~   my_field TEXT;
~   my_stat  TEXT;

BEGIN

~   my_field = TG_ARGV[0];

~   my_stat = ''SELECT field1 FROM foo where field1 = NEW.'' || my_field;

~   EXECUTE my_stat;

~   RETURN NEW;

END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER check_foo
BEFORE INSERT ON foo
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE trigger_foo('field1');

insert into foo values ( 3 );

I got the error in the subject, it's like the EXECUTE open another contest
and
forget that is inside a rule.

Any idea someone ?

Regards