Re: NEW used in a query that is not in a rule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: NEW used in a query that is not in a rule
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 19:34, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm bouncing on the following problem, I don't know if is a bug or if exist a different
> way to do it.
> The following code is not meaningfull but it's an extract of what I'm trying to do:
>

> CREATE TABLE foo ( field1 INTEGER );
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION trigger_foo()
> RETURNS TRIGGER AS'
> DECLARE
>
> ~   my_field TEXT;
> ~   my_stat  TEXT;
>
> BEGIN
>
> ~   my_field = TG_ARGV[0];
>
> ~   my_stat = ''SELECT field1 FROM foo where field1 = NEW.'' || my_field;

My guess is that you are having this problem because you are executing a
query referring to NEW rather than using it directly.

I don't think you can refer to NEW in a command string given to
EXECUTE.  You probably need to set up an IF...ELSIF...ELSE...END IF
structure to get the value to put into the command string.

> ~   EXECUTE my_stat;
>
> ~   RETURN NEW;
>

> END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> CREATE TRIGGER check_foo
> BEFORE INSERT ON foo
> FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE trigger_foo('field1');
>
> insert into foo values ( 3 );
>

> I got the error in the subject, it's like the EXECUTE open another contest and
> forget that is inside a rule.
>
> Any idea someone ?
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

========================================   "But without faith it is impossible to please him; for      he that cometh
toGod must believe that he is, and      that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek      him."        Hebrews
11:6