Re: searchable database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Soulliere
Subject Re: searchable database
Date
List pgsql-general
You might want to check out these free open source library system solutions:

Evergreen:
http://www.open-ils.org/

Koha:
http://koha.org/

I am just not sure if these are "light weight" enough for what you need, but they will provide a powerful search mechanism, a built-in front end  and other features. The are free and built on open source tools.

You may need to do some conversion to marc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARC_standards

One easy to use free tool for that is Marc Edit:
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php

These tools might seem too heavy for what you need, but will give you versatility and flexibility for expanding your resources to other materials if you ever need to do so. Moreover, they will provide all kinds of built in search options such as searching by subject, author, etc..

Regards,
Robert

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 1:37 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 04/09/11 10:24 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
We have more than thousand electronic journals. I want to make a searchable
>  database for easy access. Is there any light wight database available for
>  that. Please provide me the details for the same.
Your question is just too general to make a meaningful answer possible.
The only answer I might offer is -- "yes, you might use a data base for
that", and "yes, PostgreSQL might be useful for that", but I know that's
just too general to be helpful.

I believe what the OP wants is a "document management system"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_management_system

postgres is a general purpose database engine, and has many features which could be very useful for a document management system,.  such an application likely would use a database like postgres as its back end, but you need an application.   It didn't sound like the OP is prepared to write such a thing.

google lists quite a few open source packages like this.
http://www.google.com/search?q=open-source+document-management-system+postgresql
(ig

of course, open source projects like these vary widely in quality and usability.   I'd suggest to the OP they review the available packages, pick a few possible candidates, and setup trial installs, adding a few dozen documents to them to see how well they work for them..     Seems like a lot of them are Java/Tomcat Web applications that use Postgres, MySQL, and other database servers.  Without having tried any of them and just glancing at google results, I see OpenKM, Xinco DMS, and Alfresco

What are 'electronic journals', anyways?   are these basically document files?  do they have some internal structure, like a collection of articles,  or is each journal a single entity?   one really simple approach is to convert your journals to blog entries with a blogging package like s9y or wordpress, or a more sophisticated web CMS like Plone or Drupal, and use a combination of tags and search to find content.