Re: searchable database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: searchable database
Date
Re: searchable database
List pgsql-general
On 04/09/11 10:24 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> We have more than thousand electronic journals. I want to make a searchable
>> >  database for easy access. Is there any light wight database available for
>> >  that. Please provide me the details for the same.
> Your question is just too general to make a meaningful answer possible.
> The only answer I might offer is -- "yes, you might use a data base for
> that", and "yes, PostgreSQL might be useful for that", but I know that's
> just too general to be helpful.

I believe what the OP wants is a "document management system"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_management_system

postgres is a general purpose database engine, and has many features
which could be very useful for a document management system,.  such an
application likely would use a database like postgres as its back end,
but you need an application.   It didn't sound like the OP is prepared
to write such a thing.

google lists quite a few open source packages like this.
http://www.google.com/search?q=open-source+document-management-system+postgresql
(ig

of course, open source projects like these vary widely in quality and
usability.   I'd suggest to the OP they review the available packages,
pick a few possible candidates, and setup trial installs, adding a few
dozen documents to them to see how well they work for them..     Seems
like a lot of them are Java/Tomcat Web applications that use Postgres,
MySQL, and other database servers.  Without having tried any of them and
just glancing at google results, I see OpenKM, Xinco DMS, and Alfresco

What are 'electronic journals', anyways?   are these basically document
files?  do they have some internal structure, like a collection of
articles,  or is each journal a single entity?   one really simple
approach is to convert your journals to blog entries with a blogging
package like s9y or wordpress, or a more sophisticated web CMS like
Plone or Drupal, and use a combination of tags and search to find content.