Re: searchable database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivano Luberti
Subject Re: searchable database
Date
List pgsql-general
I completely agree with Thomas.
If the world journal has the same meaning I give to it I suggest the OP
to give a look to Open Journal System:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs

Maybe it goes further than the OP wants.
I never used it wiht Postgres , because my customers wanted to use
MySQL  :-(
But it supports postgres.

Il 10/04/2011 7.37, John R Pierce ha scritto:
> On 04/09/11 10:24 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>>> We have more than thousand electronic journals. I want to make a
>>> searchable
>>> available for
>> Your question is just too general to make a meaningful answer possible.
>> The only answer I might offer is -- "yes, you might use a data base for
>> that", and "yes, PostgreSQL might be useful for that", but I know that's
>> just too general to be helpful.
>
> I believe what the OP wants is a "document management system"...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_management_system
>
> postgres is a general purpose database engine, and has many features
> which could be very useful for a document management system,.  such an
> application likely would use a database like postgres as its back end,
> but you need an application.   It didn't sound like the OP is prepared
> to write such a thing.
>
> google lists quite a few open source packages like this.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=open-source+document-management-system+postgresql
>
> (ig
>
> of course, open source projects like these vary widely in quality and
> usability.   I'd suggest to the OP they review the available packages,
> pick a few possible candidates, and setup trial installs, adding a few
> dozen documents to them to see how well they work for them..     Seems
> like a lot of them are Java/Tomcat Web applications that use Postgres,
> MySQL, and other database servers.  Without having tried any of them
> and just glancing at google results, I see OpenKM, Xinco DMS, and
> Alfresco
>
> What are 'electronic journals', anyways?   are these basically
> document files?  do they have some internal structure, like a
> collection of articles,  or is each journal a single entity?   one
> really simple approach is to convert your journals to blog entries
> with a blogging package like s9y or wordpress, or a more sophisticated
> web CMS like Plone or Drupal, and use a combination of tags and search
> to find content.

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa