Re: Help - corruption issue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Help - corruption issue?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
>> System logs maybe?  Something about a process getting killed?  Have
>> you tried turning up the verbosity of the pg logs?
>

> Syslog has to be compiled with PG? How do I enable it? Where should I
> look for it?
>
> The documentation, whenever it mentions "syslog", always just assumes
> the expression "If syslog is enabled". Well where do I enable it?  -
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/runtime-config-logging.html
>
> Would appreciate some guidance on this.

No I meant the system logs, the ones in /var/log/yadayada.  Like
/var/log/message, things like that.  See if any of them have anything
interesting happening when things go badly.

syslog is logging using the syslog system which puts logs from various
processes into the /var/log dir, like /var/log/pgsql.  Assuming you
have a stock RHEL install I'd expect the pgsql logs to be in
/var/log/pgsql or thereabouts.

>> We gotta check one thing at a time really.
>>
>> If you copy the dir off to another machine and run pgsql 8.2.latest or
>> thereabouts, can you then create the index?
>

> I will try this. Transferring 106GB of data, even zipped, is a huge
> ask and just the management will take over a day or so. I was hoping
> we could do without this.

On a fast network it should only take a few minutes.  Now rsyncing
live 2.4 TB databases, that takes time. :)  Your raptors, if they're
working properly, should be able to transfer at around 80 to
100Megabytes a second.  10 to 15 seconds a gig.  30 minutes or so via
gig ethernet.  I'd run iostat and see how well my drive array was
performing during a large, largely sequential copy.