Re: pgsql: Clarify that a non-specified precision NUMERIC has a very high r - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pgsql: Clarify that a non-specified precision NUMERIC has a very high r
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> > Clarify that a non-specified precision NUMERIC has a very high range.
>>
>> This is entirely redundant.  You've added "(when the precision is not
>> specified)" but that's exactly what the word "otherwise" already
>> conveys.
>
> Right, but the old wording was:
>
>      otherwise the current implementation of the <type>NUMERIC</type>
>      is subject to the limits described in <xref
>      linkend="datatype-numeric-table">.
>
> I removed the extra "the", and I didn't think people were clear you
> could just specify NUMERIC alone.  We know you can you can do things
> like VARCHAR, but others will probably not realize it so I wanted to
> explicity mention it.  Other wording?

Oh, good catch.  I agree that removing the extra "the" is a good
change, but I think you should remove the parenthetical phrase you
added.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company