Re: Feature proposal: distinguish each PostgreSQL instance in the event log - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Feature proposal: distinguish each PostgreSQL instance in the event log
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> BTW, what will this accomplish exactly that couldn't be accomplished by
> setting log_line_prefix to include the desired identifier?

Windows uses the event source field to show where events in the logs
have come from. The Event Viewer and other network management tools
expect to be able to use the field for sorting and filtering etc, so
having a different value for different PG instances allows those tools
to distinguish between them properly. It's also useful for ISVs who
may want to make an embedded PG instance used by their apps identify
itself differently from other instances.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company