Re: usage on blobs - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Joel Rodrigues
Subject Re: usage on blobs
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 03:09 , Aarni Ruuhimäki wrote:

> Unless you want a HUGE db, consider using link / paths.

Why would (and why should !) this result in a 'HUGE' database ?

I too am just beginning to encounter these issues & came across
similar advice for storing images. To which my answer is that
*if* this is so, that we should store only text in database
tables and we're better off storing binary files in the file
system, then it diminishes (and depending on the application,
defeats) the purpose of using PostgreSQL.

Storing file in the files system could mean a lot of additional,
redundant work.

- Joel