usage on blobs

From
Antoine
Date:
Hello everyone.   I wanted to create a mp3 database and I was woundering
should I actually place mp3 binaries with in a database table?   Should
I just use blobs or links to where the binaries are stored on the file
system?
--
Antoine <asolomon15@nyc.rr.com>

Re: usage on blobs

From
Aspire Something
Date:
Hi Antonie,

I is recomended that u use the file path name instead of storing the file
into database.

And to my slitest knowledge BLOB is in MySQL
Regards
V Kashyap
----- Original Message -----
From: "Antoine" <asolomon15@nyc.rr.com>
To: <pgsql-novice@postgresql.org>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 1:53 AM
Subject: [NOVICE] usage on blobs

> Hello everyone.   I wanted to create a mp3 database and I was woundering
> should I actually place mp3 binaries with in a database table?   Should
> I just use blobs or links to where the binaries are stored on the file
> system?
> --
> Antoine <asolomon15@nyc.rr.com>

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: usage on blobs

From
Aarni Ruuhimäki
Date:
Unless you want a HUGE db, consider using link / paths.

BR,

aarni

--
Aarni Ruuhimäki
Megative Tmi

Pääsintie 26
45100 Kouvola

info@kymi.com / aarni.ruuhimaki@kymi.com

05 - 3755 035 / 050 - 4910 037

Linux RedHat 7.3 / KDE 3.x Desktop

Re: usage on blobs

From
Joel Rodrigues
Date:
On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 03:09 , Aarni Ruuhimäki wrote:

> Unless you want a HUGE db, consider using link / paths.

Why would (and why should !) this result in a 'HUGE' database ?

I too am just beginning to encounter these issues & came across
similar advice for storing images. To which my answer is that
*if* this is so, that we should store only text in database
tables and we're better off storing binary files in the file
system, then it diminishes (and depending on the application,
defeats) the purpose of using PostgreSQL.

Storing file in the files system could mean a lot of additional,
redundant work.

- Joel