OS X Install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nathan Mealey
Subject OS X Install
Date
Re: OS X Install  (Arcane_Rhino <arcane_rhino@yahoo.com>)
Re: OS X Install  (John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>)
Re: OS X Install  (Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org>)
Re: OS X Install  (Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>)
List pgsql-general
on OS X 10.3, using the package from Entropy.ch.  The installation
instructions there, as well as anywhere else I have seen them on the
net, say to create a user (using the System Preferences pane) with a
shortname "postgres".  The problem is, this user already exists in my
netinfo database/domain, and so I cannot either create a new user with
the same short name, or use this user, because I do not know the
password (I assume it is a system default user).  Thus, I am unable to
complete the installation, because I cannot run the following commands
as user postgres.

-D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start</fontfamily>

Has anyone else encountered this before?  I'm so confused by
this...why does this user already exist, and why can't I make use of
it for this installation?  Should I create a different user?

NM

--

Nathan Mealey

Director of Operations

Cycle-Smart, Inc.

P.O. Box 1482

Northampton, MA

01061-1482

nathan@cycle-smart.com

(413) 587-3133

(413) 210-7984 Mobile

(512) 681-7043 Fax

</color>
I am trying to install PostgreSQL on OS X 10.3, using the package from
Entropy.ch.  The installation instructions there, as well as anywhere
else I have seen them on the net, say to create a user (using the
System Preferences pane) with a shortname "postgres".  The problem is,
this user already exists in my netinfo database/domain, and so I cannot
either create a new user with the same short name, or use this user,
because I do not know the password (I assume it is a system default
user).  Thus, I am unable to complete the installation, because I
cannot run the following commands as user postgres.

/usr/local/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start