Re: OS X Install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: OS X Install
Date
Re: OS X Install  (David Teran <david.teran@cluster9.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Oct 15, 2004, at 8:09 PM, Nathan Mealey wrote:

> I am trying to install PostgreSQL on OS X 10.3, using the package from
> Entropy.ch.  The installation instructions there, as well as anywhere
> else I have seen them on the net, say to create a user (using the
> System Preferences pane) with a shortname "postgres".  The problem is,
> this user already exists in my netinfo database/domain, and so I
> cannot either create a new user with the same short name, or use this
> user, because I do not know the password (I assume it is a system
> default user).  Thus, I am unable to complete the installation,
> because I cannot run the following commands as user postgres.

I think the user is there in 10.3 by default. Apple is using PostgreSQL
in one of their products. In order to use postgres (and to have
postgres show up as a normal user available in the login menu) I
deleted the user in NetInfo Manager. You also have to delete the
postgres group. After doing this, I was able to create a postgres user
in the accounts view of System Preferences.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL