Re: OS X Install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Frankel
Subject Re: OS X Install
Date
List pgsql-general

I recently installed PostGreSQL-7.4.5 on my OSX 10.3.5 system.  I did
not, however

have the problem you're encountering.  There was no "postgres" user
already

created on my system.

1.  It's not like postgres just rolls off the tongue.  It's hard to
imagine another user of

your system choosing that name for some reason ;)

2.  If the postgres user was created by/during your install, then
there should be some

recourse for setting its password.  I don't remember offhand, but I
think NetInfo uses

a klein star "*" to denote that the password is NOT set -- then
allowing you to set it

(hopefully ...)

3.  If your is a single user system, I'd say that MAYBE you could
remove the postgres

user and create it fresh to complete the install.

4.  I'm still very new to PostGreSQL, but I'd hazard to guess that
there's nothing so

explicitly intrinsic to the username "postgres" that you couldn't
create a new user,

"postgresfoo" and continue with the install instructions using that
username.

G'luck!

Scott