Re: Restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have tried this a number of times -
> psql –U postgres PDW < PDW_June_10.sql. (with and without spaces between U &
> postgres and/or < and PDW_June)
>
> Sometimes I am asked for a postgres password, once I was asked for the PDW
> password (this makes sense and which I did enter).
>
> When I entered the password it either said password failed or it simply went
> back to the root command.

Keep in mind, the password set for the unix account is NOT related to
the password set for a user in postgresql with alter user password =
'mypassword';.

If you are entering a unix password for a pg account that hasn't had
the pw set, then it's not going to work.  They're not related at all.