Re: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On 14 July 2010 16:38, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm just working right now at Database Designer for pgAdmin with the
> GSoC, and I want to create a table user interface that will be simple, easy
> to use, and more keyboardless possible, right now my proposal is with two
> designs that you can see at this image:
>
> http://a.imageshack.us/img707/8048/tableinterface.png
>

> Symbols explanation:
>
> +   Add a Column or index
>
> -    Remove a Column or index, you click this simbol and then click the
> column (Table should show in a very clear way that it's in delete mode, for
> example by change in some way their border and writing below table in clear
> red letters : TABLE IN DELETE COLUMN MODE or something like that), then user
> confirm if delete or not column.
>
> I-
>   -|   Create Join Symbol, allow   you to create a join relatioship between
> two tables by dragging from this table (Fk source) to destination table, or
> just click (just dragging is implemented right now) this symbol and then
> click destination table and the join is created.
>
> X  Remove table
>
> _  Hide all except table title
>
> ^ and v    Hide and show below part of table.
>
> *   Not Null Column
> o  Null Column
>
> F  Foreign Key
>
> U Unique Key
>
> Key Image  (primary Key)
>

> Notes (Some are ideas, some are implemented yet):
>
> - You can change column name just by double click at column, there you can
> put your custom datatype by typing name : datatype or after you type just
> name without ":" you can do right click and select datatype from popup menu
>
> - You can add and remove columns, and create joins using a popup right click
> menu too on a table.
>
> Current state of designer can be follow by twitter:
> Here is a little youtube video: http://is.gd/dnqA4
>
> All ideas are welcome, and main idea of this post is to ask before code and
> lost less time and effort possible
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards, Luis.

Thanks for working on this.

I'm wondering if it might be better if there wasn't a type selected
automatically for a column so that the user doesn't accidently leave
it and forget to change it.

Also, could the data types line up so it's easier to read?  I know
it's still under development, but clickable elements should probably
be bigger and clearer to reduce the chance of clicking on the wrong
thing.  And anything the user has to squint at to see (like the F for
foreign key and U for unique constraint) would be a problem.

And tooltips for everything?  Many of those icons could be seen as cryptic.

Regarding the joins, will there be a clear indicator as to which
column is linking to which?

Would tables be renamable?

And what's your Twitter handle?  I don't see it above. :)

Keep up the good work.

Thom