Re: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Le 14/07/2010 17:56, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 14 July 2010 16:38, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm just working right now at Database Designer for pgAdmin with the
>> GSoC, and I want to create a table user interface that will be simple, easy
>> to use, and more keyboardless possible, right now my proposal is with two
>> designs that you can see at this image:
>>
>> http://a.imageshack.us/img707/8048/tableinterface.png
>>

>> Symbols explanation:
>>
>> +   Add a Column or index
>>
>> -    Remove a Column or index, you click this simbol and then click the
>> column (Table should show in a very clear way that it's in delete mode, for
>> example by change in some way their border and writing below table in clear
>> red letters : TABLE IN DELETE COLUMN MODE or something like that), then user
>> confirm if delete or not column.
>>
>> I-
>>   -|   Create Join Symbol, allow   you to create a join relatioship between
>> two tables by dragging from this table (Fk source) to destination table, or
>> just click (just dragging is implemented right now) this symbol and then
>> click destination table and the join is created.
>>
>> X  Remove table
>>
>> _  Hide all except table title
>>
>> ^ and v    Hide and show below part of table.
>>
>> *   Not Null Column
>> o  Null Column
>>
>> F  Foreign Key
>>
>> U Unique Key
>>
>> Key Image  (primary Key)
>>

>> Notes (Some are ideas, some are implemented yet):
>>
>> - You can change column name just by double click at column, there you can
>> put your custom datatype by typing name : datatype or after you type just
>> name without ":" you can do right click and select datatype from popup menu
>>
>> - You can add and remove columns, and create joins using a popup right click
>> menu too on a table.
>>
>> Current state of designer can be follow by twitter:
>> Here is a little youtube video: http://is.gd/dnqA4
>>
>> All ideas are welcome, and main idea of this post is to ask before code and
>> lost less time and effort possible
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards, Luis.
>>

> Thanks for working on this.
>
> I'm wondering if it might be better if there wasn't a type selected
> automatically for a column so that the user doesn't accidently leave
> it and forget to change it.

Yeah, I also think so. And there's a good chance people won't be happy
with our default choice for the datatype. So, it's better not to have one.

> Also, could the data types line up so it's easier to read?  I know
> it's still under development, but clickable elements should probably
> be bigger and clearer to reduce the chance of clicking on the wrong
> thing.  And anything the user has to squint at to see (like the F for
> foreign key and U for unique constraint) would be a problem.
>
> And tooltips for everything?  Many of those icons could be seen as cryptic.
>
> Regarding the joins, will there be a clear indicator as to which
> column is linking to which?
>
> Would tables be renamable?

+1 for the four comments.

http://twitter.com/xiul/