Re: pgbench results on a new server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: pgbench results on a new server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> wrote:
> I've got a new server and want to make sure it's running well.  Are these
> pretty decent numbers?
>
> 8 cores (2x4 Intel Nehalem 2 GHz)
> 12 GB memory
> 12 x 7200 SATA 500 GB disks
> 3WARE 9650SE-12ML RAID controller with BBU
>  WAL on ext2, 2 disks: RAID1 500GB, blocksize=4096
>  Database on ext4, 8 disks: RAID10 2TB, stripe size 64K, blocksize=4096
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid)
> Postgres 8.4.4
>
> pgbench -i -s 100 -U test
> pgbench -c 5 -t 20000 -U test
> tps = 4903
> pgbench -c 10 -t 10000 -U test
> tps = 4070
> pgbench -c20 -t 5000 -U test
> tps = 5789
> pgbench -c30 -t 3333 -U test
> tps = 6961
> pgbench -c40 -t 2500 -U test
> tps = 2945

Numbers are okay, but you likely need much longer tests to see how
they average out with the bgwriter / checkpoints happening, and keep
track of your IO numbers to see where your dips are.  I usually run
pgbench runs, once they seem to get decent numbers, for several hours
non-stop.  Sometimes days during burn in.  Note that running pgbench
on a machine other than the actual db is often a good idea so you're
not measuring how fast pgbench can run in contention with your own
database.