Re: track_functions default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: track_functions default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 16:09, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Is there a particular reason why track_functions is disabled by default?
>
> Performance worries, plus the thought that not everyone cares to
> have these stats.

Most people who are actively using stored procedures probably do. And
most don't know about it, so they don't turn it on. Which means that
in order to do anything, you have to first turn it on and then wait
for a long time (whatever a reasonable cycle is) before you can start
using it. Having it on by default would help in a lot of those cases.

>> Does having it at 'pl' by default create a noticable overhead for
>> people who aren't using pl functions? Or for that matter, even a
>> noticable overhead for those that *are*?
>
> I think we determined it did; and as for those who aren't using pl
> functions, there'd be no benefit to such a change anyway.

Ok, if it does have a noticable performance impact, I can see why it's
off by default. If it's only a tiny one, I would suggest it be on by
default - simply so people have it there by default. If you're tuning
your server for that last little bit of performance, you're touching a
whole bunch of other settings anyway, so turning it off isn't a big
deal....

I guess I should've done some actual measurements before posting :D

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/