Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
Date
Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>>> Since we appear to be still holding the commitfest open for Sync Rep,
>>> I guess this ought to get reviewed.
>>
>> Or else we should close the CommitFest and cut alpha4.  Anyone have an
>> opinion on which way to go?
>
> I think we can give Sync Rep until the 15th, given the pace of work on
> it.  It is a major feature, and a complicated one.

Sure, but there are other features, major and minor, that we have
postponed to 9.2.  In the normal course of events, sync rep would have
been marked Returned with Feedback a month ago.  I like the feature,
but I have to say I'm not very pleased that we seem to have fallen
into a pattern of believing that some major features are somehow
exempted from the scheduling deadline and others are not.  I am sure
there are plenty of other people who would have liked a six week
extension of the usual CommitFest deadlines too, but they didn't get
it (and for the most part, were pretty gracious about that).

> We could even cut a pre-synch-rep Alpha4 *now*, and follow that with a
> post-synch-rep Alpha5 sometime around April 1.
>
> That'll put us in a good position for beta, and also to see what
> specific issue SynR adds.

Frankly, I think we should be aiming to get a beta out in April, not
another alpha.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company