Re: Why Performance of SQL Query is *much* Slower in GUI PgAdmin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Why Performance of SQL Query is *much* Slower in GUI PgAdmin
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yan Cheng CHEOK <yccheok@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Recently, I try to introduce my friend to use PostgreSQL.
>>
>> However, he first impression is that. PostgreSQL is much slower compared to MySQL. He realize he has to wait for 7
seconds,to create a tmp database.

>> He run a command through pgadmin GUI.
>>
>> "CREATE DATABASE TMP;"
>>
>> I try to run through command prompt instead. It tooks 2 seconds.
>
> Maybe he's running an older version that hasn't had create db
> optimized?

Just to point out, there was a discussion I can't find right now about
fsync and create database optimization earlier this year.  Apparently
grouping everything together resulted in a big performance gain for
create database.  So it really is likely that a different version
could be much slower.  However, if you're both hitting the same db,
then the slowness is in the gui tool, not pgsql.