Re: Why Performance of SQL Query is *much* Slower in GUI PgAdmin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Why Performance of SQL Query is *much* Slower in GUI PgAdmin
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yan Cheng CHEOK <yccheok@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Recently, I try to introduce my friend to use PostgreSQL.
>
> However, he first impression is that. PostgreSQL is much slower compared to MySQL. He realize he has to wait for 7
seconds,to create a tmp database.

> He run a command through pgadmin GUI.
>
> "CREATE DATABASE TMP;"
>
> I try to run through command prompt instead. It tooks 2 seconds.

Maybe he's running an older version that hasn't had create db
optimized?  Maybe he's looking at exactly the wrong place to be
deciding which db is faster?  Seriously, from the perspective of a DBA
with a db in the hundreds of gigabytes, how long it takes to create an
empty one is exactly 0% interesting to me, unless it somehow becomes
minutes or something weird, which it hasn't.

How well a db runs with hundreds of active connections and queries,
and running complex operations is interesting.  This?  Not so much.