Re: Why Performance of SQL Query is *much* Slower in GUI PgAdmin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Why Performance of SQL Query is *much* Slower in GUI PgAdmin
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe, 17.05.2010 10:58:
>> Why on earth would anybody compare database performance using a command that
>> is usually executed only once in the lifetime of a database?
>>
>> It's like saying "The car from manufacturer A is slower than the one from
>> manufacturer B, because it takes 1 second longer to start the engine..."
>
> I refer you to this classic post on the subject:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general@postgresql.org/msg93043.html

Nice one :)

That reminds me of a "fun" car test in a German car magazine some years ago.

They were comparing the cheapest and the most expensive car from the Fiat group:
a Fiat 127 (similar to a Fiat 500 nowadays) against a Ferarri Testarossa.

The first test was to get 3 people from Munich to Augsburg (approx. 70km), the Ferarri lost with about 30 minutes
differencebecause it had to drive two times ;)

Regards
Thomas