Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 17:31, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds
>> This file is now needed by pgAdmin builds, which started
>> failing since it was missing in the installer builds.
>
> I'd like to protest this patch as misguided.  AFAICS it is a *seriously*

Uh, we install the file on Unix, so we should do the same on Windows.

> bad idea for pgAdmin to be including gram.h --- we don't even want most
> of the backend to include that, let alone external pieces of code.  It's
> not stable enough.  See the note in gramparse.h.

Whether that's misguided is another thing :-)

> To my way of thinking, not installing that file is a fine idea.
> What we really need to be asking is why the pgAdmin folks think
> they should be including it.

It is required in order to pull kwlist.h, which is used to determine
which keywords to highlight in the SQL editor (and other places that
do syntax highlighting). It never actually uses the values, but it
needs the file for kwlist.h to compile.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/