Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Properly install gram.h on MSVC builds
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 17:31, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'd like to protest this patch as misguided. �AFAICS it is a *seriously*

> Uh, we install the file on Unix, so we should do the same on Windows.

Well, my idea of how to fix that would be the other way 'round.

>> What we really need to be asking is why the pgAdmin folks think
>> they should be including it.

> It is required in order to pull kwlist.h,

No, it is not required.  What they should be doing is #define'ing
PG_KEYWORD() in a way that ignores its second argument.  See pg_dump's
keywords.c for an example of safe usage.

If we allow this to stand then we are going to find people complaining
that we've broken ABI anytime we make a minor change in the grammar.
I repeat: it's a SERIOUSLY bad idea.