Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum
Date
Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
On 13 November 2010 18:49, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> writes:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Actually, you could be quite surprised on the number of people not willing
>> to use a mailing list, and ready to use web forums.

>    I think this is a generational thing.

I'm not nearly as concerned about whether there are forums as about
having "rogue" forums outside the postgresql.org domain.  People could
misperceive such things as having some official status, which would lead
to conclusions like "postgres must be dead because there's no traffic in
this forum".  It needs to be connected to the community as a whole, and
some random guy deciding to create his own forum doesn't sound like a
recipe for getting to that.

(BTW, if memory serves, this has happened before, with no positive
long-term results.)

Yes, that was at postgresqlforums.com I think, which wasn't very popular.  Not that the guy who ran it wasn't helpful though.  I've noticed a similar problem with MSSQL, various scattered forums around with no sense of a focused community.

It's a shame that a forum can't act as a front-end for a mailing list, so signing up to the forum actually signs you up to a mailing list (if you're not already signed up), but without receiving any emails.  Messages posted to the forum would get sent to the list, and vice versa.  And such a system would need to support cross-posting too somehow.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion