Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Carbery
Subject Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to configure this particular scenario..

I have a pair of pg servers that I want to put in a Master/Standby configuration. Currently a script dumps the master db every hour, copies it to the standby, restores, and restarts the server. The aim is to replace the dumps/restores with streaming replication and ensure the standby is always up to date.

In this case writes are infrequent, but reads are constant, and I only need high availability for reads. I would ideally like both master and standby to be available simultaneously to allow load-balancing.
My confusion seems to be around the fact I don't need failover - my applications will detect a master down and immediately start using the standby, so there is no need to allow writes on the standby, they will just wait for the master to be available again - I am not sure what the minimum config needed for this scenario is..

cheers,

Ben