Re: Problems With -9.0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Problems With -9.0.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Well that would be a problem. Still, using pg_ctl would be an improvement.
> From the docs
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-pg-ctl.html): "pg_ctl
> is a utility for initializing a PostgreSQL database cluster, starting,
> stopping, or restarting the PostgreSQL backend server (postgres), or
> displaying the status of a running server. Although the server can be
> started manually, pg_ctl encapsulates tasks such as redirecting log output
> and properly detaching from the terminal and process group. It also
> provides convenient options for controlled shutdown."

   The script stops the running postgres. Since the only time I should need
to re-start it is after a re-boot (a distribution upgrade with a new
kernel), starting manually is not a big deal:

postgres@salmo:/home/rshepard$ postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
[1] 17318
postgres@salmo:/home/rshepard$ LOG:  database system was shut down at
2010-12-20 19:04:58 PST
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

[rshepard@salmo ~]$ ps ax | grep postgres
17318 pts/1    S      0:00 postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
17320 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: writer process
17321 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: wal writer process
17322 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: autovacuum launcher process
17323 ?        Ss     0:00 postgres: stats collector process
17405 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep postgres

   All processes running.

Thanks, Adrian,

Rich