authentication question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Cath Lawrence
Subject authentication question
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

Not sure if this is a novice or a PHP question; so I sent it to both.

Anyway, I can't seem to deny access to my database through the web
server/PHP connection...

In my  pg_hba.conf, at the top, before getting to the real databases, I
have:
   # temporary, cath testing access on example
  local   temp     all                          reject
  host    temp     all           127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255  reject
  host    temp  all        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255  reject

Command line psql won't let me connect to temp -  so far so good.
But when I use PHP's pg_connect with host, dbname, username, password
specified, it lets me through. It does fail non-users or bad passwords
- but all existing postgresql users seem to be able to make the
connection regardless.

What have I missed? Ultimately, I am trying to set this up so only
specific known users can connect to my database from particular hosts.

thanks for any help,
regards
Cath
Cath Lawrence,                       Cath.Lawrence@anu.edu.au
Senior Scientific Programmer,  Centre for Bioinformation Science,
John Curtin School of Medical Research (room 4088)
Australian National University,  Canberra ACT 0200
ph: (02) 61257959   mobile: 0421-902694   fax: (02) 61252595