Re: authentication question - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: authentication question
Date
Re: [NOVICE] authentication question
List pgsql-php
Cath Lawrence wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is a novice or a PHP question; so I sent it to both.
>
> Anyway, I can't seem to deny access to my database through the web
> server/PHP connection...
>
> In my  pg_hba.conf, at the top, before getting to the real databases,
> I have:
>   # temporary, cath testing access on example
>  local   temp     all                          reject
>  host    temp     all           127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255  reject
>  host    temp  all        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255  reject
>
> Command line psql won't let me connect to temp -  so far so good.
> But when I use PHP's pg_connect with host, dbname, username, password
> specified, it lets me through. It does fail non-users or bad passwords
> - but all existing postgresql users seem to be able to make the
> connection regardless.
>
> What have I missed? Ultimately, I am trying to set this up so only
> specific known users can connect to my database from particular hosts.

Cath,

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but try adding this to the
bottom (seen this as a common practice)

# reject all connections from all hosts not granted above
host    all             0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0      reject

-Robby

--

Robby Russell,  Sr. Administrator / Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc.