Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rui DeSousa
Subject Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network
Date
List pgsql-admin
STS is initialized as 3; and is only set to zero if rsync returns zero.

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 8:59 PM, Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On 01/03/18 14:10, Rui DeSousa wrote:
>> I’ve tested this and it seems that there is a still a bug in rsync (rsync  version 3.1.2  protocol version 31).  I
useda 1GB archive filesytem to allow for an out of space test case.  Not sure of the actual cause as it seems to work a
fewtimes; however, it then fails leaving a truncated file and returning a success code.

>> Archive Script critical code:
>>
>> OUTPUT=$(rsync -ac $XLOGFILE $ARCH_SERVER:$ARCH_DIR/$WALFILE)
>> if [ $? == 0 ]; then
>>    STS=0
>>    echo "Success: $WALFILE" >> /tmp/waltest.log
>> else
>>    echo "Failed: $WALFILE" >> /tmp/waltest.log
>> fi
>>
>> exit $STS
>>

> Looking at the above snippet, $STS is not properly initialized in the failure section of the code...so you might be
gettingfalse 0 returns when rsync is actually setting some other value.