Experience with many schemas vs many databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From undisclosed user
Subject Experience with many schemas vs many databases
Date
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Johan Nel <johan.nel@xsinet.co.za>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases  (undisclosed user <lovetodrinkpepsi@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello everyone,

I have hit a wall on completing a solution I am working on. Originally, the app used a db per user (on MyIsam)....the solution did not fair so well in reliability and performance. I have been increasingly interested in Postgres lately.

Currently, I have about 30-35k users/databases. The general table layout is the same....only the data is different. I don't need to share data across databases. Very similar to a multi-tenant design.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. Could postgres support this many DBs? Are there any weird things that happen when the postgres is used this way?
2. Is the schema method better? Performance, maintainability, backups, vacuum? Weird issues?

Any incite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Frank